FIND YOUR NEXT HOME by...
Dress for Success: Staging Your Pacific Grove Home For SalePosted by Gregg Camp on Thursday, August 2nd, 2012 at 8:18am.
Staging is not a new concept for Pacific Grove real estate agents or for homeowners working to show their Pacific Grove real estate to its best advantage. Some professionals make their living staging homes, but you can save money and time following these do it yourself tips:
1. Pick it up, pack it up, clean it up. When prospective buyers come to your Pacific Grove real estate, nothing makes a better impression than clear, open space and cleanliness. Remember that you are moving! Pack as many items as you can before putting your Pacific Grove real estate on the market.
Pack off-season clothes, most of the kids’ toys, all your photographs, your books, and your seldom-used kitchen appliances. Stack the boxes neatly in the garage. Get rid of those odds and ends you won’t be taking with you and take down all those sticky notes and refrigerator magnets. Throw away the newspapers and magazines on the coffee table and your desk. Clear out the medicine cabinet and under the sink and refold the towels in the linen closet. Yes, people do look!
Get out the vacuum and the dust cloth and make sure the floors, counter tops, table surfaces, windows, and mirrors all gleam. Make sure everyone leaves the house with their bedrooms tidy: clothes hung up, drawers closed, and toys and books put away. Roll the garden hose up neatly.
2. Fix it up. No one wants to imagine buying Pacific Grove real estate they will have to start repairing unless they can get it for a deep, deep discount. Have a painting party with friends one weekend to smooth a fresh coat of paint on your interior walls. Choose light, pale colors (beige and cream are standard, but a very pale powder blue, sea green, or palest pink may work wonders).
Fix that dripping faucet! Make sure all doors and windows open smoothly and silently. Straighten loose or crooked landscape or walkway bricks. Make sure outside paint is redone anywhere it is cracked or peeling.
2. Dress it up. Once you have removed as much personal clutter as humanly possible, scrubbed your home clean, and made minor repairs, dress up your Pacific Grove real estate with add fresh flowers on the kitchen table, a pretty rug in front of the sink, a bright afghan over the arm of the sofa, and a pot plant by the living room window.
Little accents like these put spots of color in your home, helping it come to life without overwhelming the visitor with personal clutter.
3. Light it up. Leave a soft lamp on in any dark corners or dimly lit rooms. Make sure the light in the kitchen and in the bathrooms stay on. Examine your lighted corners and rooms to be sure the lights don’t show up any dirt! Pacific Grove real estate that shines with welcoming light stands out from its neighbors.
4. Perk it up. Drive-up appeal is so very important! Keep the lawn of your Pacific Grove real estate mowed and edged and its flowerbed weed free. It is worth it to pay someone to keep on top of your yard if you don't have time.
Pick up and discard dead branches and make sure no trash or weeds are wedged next to the fence. Put some bright red geraniums on the porch with a new welcome mat. If you are selling your Pacific Grove real estate in the winter months, leave the porch light on.The whole idea of staging is to make prospective buyers feel warm and welcome in your Pacific Grove real estate, without being distracted by a mental list of chores. Put the best face on your Pacific Grove real estate. Staging doesn’t cost much: planning, some minor purchases, and some elbow grease. It pays big dividends.
Be the first to comment on this blog entry!